Flood victims in Mamelodi have threatened to allot land to themselves if the city does not act quickly to relocate them in the region.This comes after the City of Tshwane said on Monday that they had obtained cityowned land in the Orchards area to transfer roughly 300 residents from Gomora, Malusi Ext 1 and 2, and the recently constructed Booysens Ext 4, as well as others in need, who were displaced by recent floods.
Floods in Tshwane displaced over 800 families earlier last month. Households in Eersterust, Mamelodi (informal settlements), Gomora in Pretoria west, Soshanguve Block KK, Onverwacht in Cullinan, Hammanskraal, and Marikana in Centurion were impacted by flooding. In response, the city established temporary shelters at Mamelodi’s Nellmapius and Mamelodi west halls, Hammanskraal’s Sebothoma hall, and Pretoria’s Transoranje school for the deaf.
Our families have been in shambles since they abandoned us in 2019. Because of bogus promises, our children cannot even attend school. “Every time we come here with marches, we hear that Tshwane is broke,” said Vickson Mabunda. “We had a final draft proposal resettlement plan for identified Mamelodi informal settlements that we all agreed must be implemented by the city,” he added. “So we are done with all stories of clearing the site, appointing contractors.”
By: Khensani Khoza.