During a visit by the leadership of the Gauteng and Mpumalanga provincial governments, a group of bereaved individuals most of which are related to six people who died in a tragic bus accident along the notorious Moloto Road called for Putco bus service to be permanently removed from South Africa’s roads.
The bus, travelling from Marabastad last week Friday was carrying 63 passengers and headed for Tweefontein in Mpumalanga when smoke erupted, prompting passengers to escape the bus to save their lives as it started burning.
The Department of Public Roads and Transport Infrastructure has launched an independent forensic investigation into the burning of a Putco bus. One of the grieving families who have lost their mother who was the sole breadwinner told Putco delegates to leave. Meanwhile, another family says: “Government must bring good and safe buses.”
According to the group, their loved ones should be the last fatalities attributed to Putco. The group says it wants the Putco bus off the road permanently. “They played us. They published a list that my mother is dead and we are still waiting for the DNA tests,” said one family member.