More than 100 learners from HM Baloyi Secondary School in Winterveldt, Tshwane, were rushed to various hospitals and clinics on Tuesday following a suspected food poisoning.
According to school governing body chairperson Ezekiel Masango, they became aware after a parent uploaded pictures of ambulances at the school. Gauteng Education Department spokesperson, Steve Mabona, said from what they understood, Grade 12 learners were having lunch on Tuesday when some started experiencing stomach pains and later diarrhoea.
Paramedics took some for medical attention and health inspectors arrived to take the sample plate for necessary investigation.On Wednesday angry parents stormed into MH Baloyi Secondary School in Winterveldt demanding answers after an estimated 200 learners fell ill after eating food provided through the feeding scheme.
They were met by MEC for Education, Panyaza Lesufi, who was visiting the school to get more clarity on the matter. The parents barred Lesufi from addressing them, and he had to leave the school as the situation threatened to get worse.
Lesufi, who left the school following the disruptions, said it was unfortunate that there was chaos. He said the Department of Health and the police were probing the incident. All the affected learners had been discharged, he said, and classes were back to normal. #ladi_jaja?